Spray Tanning Tips
BEFORE your Airbrush Tan Session:
- Manicure & Pedicures, Massages & Spa treatments should be done 24 hours prior to your spray tanning session.
On the Day Of your Airbrush Tan Session:
- Make sure to have CLEAN/FRESHLY SHAVED, SHOWERED & EXFOLIATED skin! For Best results…Make sure you have exfoliated off as much of your prior spry tan before your next visit!! It is up to you to prepare your skin properly before coming into your tanning appointment. Not exfoliating properly can result in an uneven, blotchy tan that will fade unevenly!!
- NO LOTIONS, NO PERFUMES, NO DEODORANT, NO MAKE UP or ANY product that will create a barrier on your skin! These products will create a barrier on the top layer of skin, preventing the absorption of the tanning solution. Eye make up is OK. If you are coming from work or need to wash off your make up or lotions before getting sprayed, you can do so at our studio.
- Avoid bar soap or deodorant soaps BEFORE your spray tan sessions. These soaps tend to create a film or barrier on your skin.
- If your skin is feeling overly dry, looking blotchy or general looking overly weathered, it is highly recommend to have a pH treatment prior to your tanning session.
- Make sure to wear in or bring with you dark, soft, loose fitting clothing & a pair of flip-flops to wear home from your spray tan session. Wearing any tight, restricting or rough clothing will cause rubbing off of spray tan solution which can cause streaking and will diminished tan results. Please be advised…wearing your BRA right after your tanning session is not advised, as it will rub and create lines.
What to wear DURING your Airbrush Tan Session:
- It is completely up to you and your comfort level as to how much or as little you would like to wear during your tanning session. Tanning solutions may stain nylons, silks & synthetic fabrics.
- Tanning Naked is perfectly fine! Many clients prefer no tan lines!
- Male clients wear boxers, swim trunks or speedos.
POST Airbrush Tanning Instructions:
- AVOID WATER: For best results avoid sweating, rain drops, doing dishes, bathing your kids, washing your car…basically coming into contact with ANY WATER for at least 6-12 hours!! HOWEVER, it is recommended to rinse your hands lightly with cool water and pat dry after 2 hours to insure a more natural looking tan on your hands. During this time, the DHA in the Airbrush tanning solution causes a chemical reaction with amino acids in the surface cells of your skin producing a darkening effect.
Please note: Failure to follow post airbrush tan instructions can result in an uneven tan. All Post Airbrush Tan touch ups and/or a new spray tan will be of additional cost to the client.
- The Standard Custom Airbrush Tan: After waiting 6-12 hours, you are now ready to shower! A quick, warm water rinse off is recommended! Do not use body soap or use a wash cloth. Washing your hair is fine. Dry off by lightly patting your skin dry with a fluffy towel and apply a quality Moisturizing lotion immediately after drying off.
- The Express Tan: After application, warm water rinse (no soap, no hot water) in 1-hour to achieve light bronze color, 2-hours to achieve Medium bronze color, 3 or more hours for darkest bronze color. For those with very fair skin tones, it is NOT recommended to exceed the 3 hour wait time limit. It is important to note that the DHA continues to react with the skin after shower rinse and full color may not be completely realized for up to 24 hours. cosmetic bronzer will wash away during the warm water rinse.
- Using a quality Liquid soap is recommended while Airbrush tan solution is on your skin. It is gentler to the skin then bar soap and is not as drying to the skin.
- Post Tan Shaving: Wait 48 hours after your tan is applied to shave and always shave unwanted hair using a new, sharp razor and creamy conditioning lotions. Avoid Hair removal products as these will strip your tan off with the hair.
Please note: Shaving post airbrush tanning can remove the color completely. Any touch ups and/or re-sprays will be of additional cost to the client.
- Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize! Make sure to keep your skin hydrated and moisturized before & after your airbrush tan!! Apply a quality Water Based Moisturizing Lotion every morning & evening.
What to AVOID within the duration of the Airbrush Tan (7-10 days)
- AVOID long hot showers, baths, Saunas, rubbing or scratching of the skin. This increases the natural skin exfoliation process. When drying your skin, lightly pat to dry.
- AVOID lotions/cleansers/soaps that contain any Alcohol. This ingredient will exfoliate your skin & fade your tan, possibly removing your tan instantly!
- AVOID spraying perfumes directly on your neck or skin. Perfumes contain Alcohol which can create blotches and fading if sprayd directly on your tan. Spray perfume in the air and walk through the perfume mist.
- AVOID long swims in Chlorinated pools or soaking in Hot tubs. Submerging in Chlorine will dramatically accelerate the fading process and promotes the outer layer of skin to slough off which will remove your spray tan all together! Applying a generous amount of Water proof Sunscren prior to submerging can reduce the fading process.